To react to purpose means moving beyond hey look at me, because let’s face it, the hey look at me is really you thinking that you will be graded on a curve, but you don't realize that you will not be judged on your case. Reacting to purpose requires knowing that works based righteousness does not equal value and worth to God. Reacting to a purpose from God requires you to know that your righteousness is based on what has been done for you, not what you do.
To react to your purpose from God means going to God empty handed. Otherwise you are bringing to God exactly what Isaiah said in 64:6 where your righteousness is like bringing dirty menstrual rags to God, or as in Paul’s letter to the Philippians (3:8) is nothing more than to steaming pile of crap. (I know the NIV says rubbish but the real translation is SCUBLA which is Greek for a nice way of saying CRAP.)
So what are the differences between Works Righteousness and Gifts Righteousness?
1) Works is man centered not God centered.
2) Works is comparing yourself to someone other than Jesus
3) Works is value based on performance.
4) Focuses on the external and ignores the internal. You are trusting yourself more than trusting Jesus.
5) God is no longer our judge. Other people are.
6) Leads to pride.
7) Works causes contempt, not compassion.
8) Works offends God. By this kind of behavior you are murdering God be is not as righteous as you are.
Gifts Righteousness is realizing that you will never be any more righteous than Jesus. By gift righteousness we change so people will be unable to deny the presence of the holy spirit in a persons life.
So what are the attributes of Gift Righteousness?
1) Gifts righteousness causes you to compare yourself with Jesus and the word of God. This interns causes you to humble yourself and realize you are a sinner.
2) Despise and do not excuse, tolerate or celebrate your unrighteousness.
3) You humbly repent to God. Focus on your sin to God.
4) You receive Grace and place your faith in Jesus Christ.
5) You receive the righteousness of Jesus Christ and become justified in the sight of God.
6) Become sanctified by the spirit of God to your good works. We are saved to our works not by our works for God. Our works are based on his perfection, not ours.
Just as it was in Luke 18: 9-14 the tax collector, the sinner beat on his chest and said, "God have mercy on me, a sinner. The Pharisee went to God thanking him for the fact that he was not like the Tax Collector. Who are you. The Tax Collector willing to REACT to the Gift Righteousness of God for the Glory of God, or are you the Pharisee thanking God your not like the sinner next to you?